Monday, August 19, 2013

Only winners get wings


I tried out for this commercial, however I was informed that I did not meet the weight requirement.  I tried the muscle weighs more than fat routine but it wasn't happening.

Usually by mid August reciting the top 10-15 players at each position is something that I could do with great ease.  While I have been doing my homework, there has been something else that has my full attention.

Pittsburgh Pirate fever has been in full swing for a few weeks now and the bandwagon is filling up faster than a 5$ blackjack table at the Rivers.  I can't blame people for being excited.  I don't get on Facebook often but after a Pirate win you can bank on about 1 in 5 posts saying r.t.j.r or something to that effect.  Like I said I can't blame people--it's been 20 years.

Something just rubs me the wrong way about people who didn't suffer through the lean years.  Do names like Pat Mears, Abe Nunez, and Kris Benson mean anything to you?  What about Rob Mack-o-wak?  That should make you smile.  Be proud that you watched many Ian Snell fastballs go flying over the Clemente Wall and by the same token the vaunted Josh Fogg change-up that missed its spot and would suffer a similar fate.  Do you remember the big bat of Brian Bixler?  What about the grand-daddy of them all though--and possibly the lowest moment in the last 20 years belongs to this familiar face...
That's right folks--that is a professional athlete with a mustache painted on his face during an event.

To sum it up go ahead and have the water-cooler talk about the Pirates but make sure to pour a little out for the homies and pay homage to the guys who have been in for the long haul.

Just a few tidbits from the first two weeks of preseason.

- I am getting real tired real fast of hearing the daily report from Jets camp about who will be playing QB.  I think the Jets offense could be historically bad.  It doesn't matter who the QB is.  I think Geno Smith was a nice college QB in a nice system but coming into an offense that lacks any kind of play-maker is going to be a wake up call.  The brand of defense that is played in the NFL is a bit of an upgrade compared to the Baylor Bears.  Their defense is going to win them some ball games and this team could be an Under cash-cow this year.  Back the truck up on Under 6.5 wins.

For old times sake...
Sadly I think this is NYJ best QB option.


- Another QB battle that is wearing on me is the Vick v. Foles match up in Philly.  If they were running a pro-style offense with straight drop back passing there could maybe be a debate.  However, this offense was made for Vick.  It might just be a Chip Kelly smoke show but I am willing to bet my lunch money on Mike Vick lining up under center in week 1 of the season.  My lunch usually consists of 3 value menu items from BK so that wager is roughly $3.18.  Any takers?

- Speaking of bets you can still get under 7.5 on the SD Super Chargers win total this year.  Do not want to put too much stock into 1 half of a preseason game but the Chargers looked awful...

- Almost as as bad as the Oakland Raiders looked.  Matt Flynn might end up working out there but he sure is getting a lot of respect for being Aaron Rodgers back up and having a monstrous game  in a week 17 game vs the Lions 2 years ago.

- The Jacksonville Jaguars could be a team I might try to get behind at some point.  They have some nice weapons in MJD/Shorts/Blackmon.  I like the looks of Denard running around out there too.  I think their defense is pretty close to being good.  As much as I like all the other pieces of the puzzle the most important piece is also the most unreliable in Blaine Gabbert.  I would still feel pretty good about getting on the over 5.

2012 WW player of the year - Cecil Shorts III


- Were there really 60 better NFL prospects than the 61st pick in the 2013 NFL draft?  There were press going around that Lacy was out of shape.  He looked pretty good there and might be just what the Packer run game needed.

- We are 11 days from the greatest weekend of the year -- Draft weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment