Sunday, January 19, 2014

The NFL Dream

I have a pretty clear image in my head of what Roger Goodell looked like Sunday night after the completion of this weekends games.  The NFL could not have hand-drawn a better scenario.

EEEXXXXXXCCCELLEENNNNTTT
 After Kap and the 9'ers took care of Carolina, that locked in a Seahawks vs 49er's NFC Conference Championship game.  A certain prognosticator had this match up pegged back in March--check out the last sentence.  It really was not much of a ballsy prediction.  These were the best two teams in the NFC coming into the season.  SF vs SEA is quickly becoming one of the best rivalries in the NFL, and this conference championship game will only add to its allure.

....Goodell slips into his Peyton Manning jersey and roots harder for the Broncos than THIS GUY with a $20 bet on Denver -8.5 (not proud of some of the things I typed into google to find that)....

And he got his wish.  I can't say that I am upset that the stars have aligned for this match-up.  It's not everyday that you get to watch two first-ballot H.O.F quarterbacks battle it out to go to the Super Bowl.
Make that a Bronco Jersey on Manning and it would pass today



No, that is not a copy of this weeks Sports Illustrated.  That would be the cover from November 7th, 2005.  It really is quite remarkable how long these two have been 1 and 1-A for so long.  Also  I have to think its pretty rare that an SI cover could pop up 9 years later and it still be relevant.  Let's take a quick look at some other covers from 2005.

On to the picks....


Anytime you get the chance to bet on the most handsome and possibly the most intelligent man in the NFL you have to do it.....


Looks? CHECK Smarts? CHECK


Seahawks -3 vs 49ers

NFL Network had a replay of the week 14 SEA @ SF game.  Surprisingly, on a Thursday night I had nothing better to do so I figured I would watch it and see what I learned.
A few observations:
- SF moved ball well between 20's but bogged down big time in red zone - 4 FG's.


- Frank Gore had  17 for 110.  51 of those yards came on 1 run.  Take that run away and its 16 for 59. (week 2 @ SEA he had 9 for 16)
- With Crabtree back things opened up for Boldin (6 - 93 vs 1 - 7 week 2 )
- Kap didn't do much leg-work he moved to throw but never got loose - longest run 9 yards
- Patrick Willis got beat badly on 2 separate occasions by rookie tight end Luke Wilson
52 - lost in coverage
- SEA had no problem converting 3rd downs (41%)
- Kap and Wilson both threw 1 INT in the game.  Kap's was a crucial red zone turnover, while Wilson's was a launch down field with 17 seconds left in the game to try to get in FG range.  Kap also had about 2-3 other passes in the game that hit a Seattle defender first.  I trust RW more than Kap.

Jim Harbaugh is obviously a great coach. He is the first coach ever to take his team to 3 straight conference championship games ever.  However, there is something about him that bothers me.  His sideline demeanor resembles that of a college kid who just cashed in his Pell Grant and then decided to bet it on 1 game.




 I appreciate a show of emotion as much as anyone.  Although, when you are the head coach I believe you need to show some poise.  I am sure FOX will run some stupid slow motion replay of a Harbaugh meltdown at some point during the game.

Ok time for a prediction.  At the beginning of the year I had SEA winning the Super Bowl, I see no reason to back off that now.  Hopefully SEA starts fast and then the crowd takes over and Kap gives Sherman and the boys a few.
SEA 24
SF 16


Way to tired to get into anything in-depth for Brady v. Manning XV, but all I know is that you have 2 of the best QB's ever to play against what I would consider 2 middle of the road defenses.  If you think that the Pats will score 26+ points then take Pats + over 57 and you can do no worse than a split.  Also to me the idea of Tom Brady getting anything more than 3 points in a playoff game seems a bit silly.  It should be an entertaining game and hopefully a close finish.  Pats +5 over 57 for me.
NE 30
DEN 34

Good luck.



No comments:

Post a Comment